Is BellaMoon Full Moon 7-in-1 or Half Moon Nursing Nest safe for co-sleeping?
BellaMoon is a breastfeeding product and should be treated as such. BellaMoon is designed for short intervals of breastfeeding whilst lying on your side. It is not recommended for overnight sleeping. When breastfeeding is complete, and baby has latched off, baby should be returned to their own separate sleep surface.
The Half Moon Nursing Nest is for use within the adult bed only. The BellaMoon Maternity Pillow should never be used within the bed.
In accordance with advice given by the Lullaby Trust, the safest place for your baby to sleep is on a separate cot, bassinet or crib.
What position should I lie in when using BellaMoon Full Moon 7-in-1 or Half Moon Nursing Pillow?
BellaMoon is designed for togetherness with a Mother and baby breastfeeding together. The shape of BellaMoon is designed around the universal lateral breastfeeding position, where a Mother lies on her side with her lower arm outstretched over babys head and knees tucked up below baby.
For images of this position, see our detailed user guidance https://bellamoon.co/user-guide-and-safety/
Can I leave my baby on its own in BellaMoon Full Moon 7-in-1 or Half Moon Nursing Nest?
No – BellaMoon is not a cot or crib. BellaMoon is designed for togetherness – it is not designed for separation from the Mother.
If a Mother wishes to roll over and go to sleep, baby must be removed from BellaMoon and returned its own separate sleep surface.
Baby will naturally seek a Mothers breast. BellaMoon is open on one side and if a Mother is not present, baby will move out of BellaMoon in search of Mother. BellaMoon is not recommended for overnight sleeping, rather, it is designed for short intervals of breastfeeding whilst lying on your side and aware of baby latched on and breastfeeding.
What if I fall asleep when using BellaMoon Full Moon 7-in-1 or Half Moon Nursing Nest?
BellaMoon is designed for togetherness with a Mother and baby breastfeeding together, where a Mother is lying on her side, fully aware that her baby is latched on breastfeeding.
When a Mother and baby intend to latch off and go to sleep, baby should be returned to its own separate sleep surface.
Can I use BellaMoon in a crib?
BellaMoon is not for use in the crib. All materials have been rigorously tested for breathability and air permeability, but we cannot recommend it for use in the crib.
We put safety first. There have been incidents where babies have suffocated after becoming entrapped between a soft product and the side of a crib, bassinet, wall, or other surface, and also incidents where babies have suffocated on soft bedding like blankets or soft toys. This is why we warn against using a BellaMoon in a crib, bassinet or other contained area, and warn that blankets and pillows should not be placed in the BellaMoon.
A Message About Sleep Safety
We at BellaMoon recognize that many people believe strongly that infants and young children should never sleep with adults in their bed while others believe—equally strongly—that such co-sleeping provides valuable emotional benefits. Our founder is a passionate breastfeeding advocate and recognises that bringing your baby into your bed to feed at night is often essential for both Mother and baby. When used in an adult bed properly, BellaMoon is safe for intervals of night-time breastfeeding. Just make sure to read our detailed user guidance summarised below;
- Lateral breastfeeding in BellaMoon is suitable under full supervision by an awake and alert adult from 0-18 months.
Research on bedsharing shows an increased risk of SIDS between 2 and 3 months. This is a particularly vulnerable time, as babies lack good head control and are unable to control their airways. Therefore, particular care should be taken with babies under 4 months old. BellaMoon products are not recommended for cosleeping.
- BellaMoon is not a cot, or a sleep positioner and should not be used as such.
- After breastfeeding is complete and baby has latched off, babies should be returned to their own separate safe sleeping surface, in accordance with the guidance issued by the Lullaby Trust.
- DO NOT use the Mothers Pillow within the adult bed at night-time.
- Do NOT leave baby lying in BellaMoon without the immediate presence of Mother directly adjacent.
- Due to the breastfeeding nature of BellaMoon, babies will seek a mother’s breast therefore may move out of position in search of mother if she is not lying immediately adjacent in the lateral breastfeeding position.
- Keep BellaMoon away from walls or other vertical structures due to the risk that baby may move between BellaMoon and the side structure, become entrapped and suffocate.
- Keep the baby’s sleep area free of loose items, such as toys, crib bumpers, pillows and blankets.
- Always ensure that the BellaMoon is placed fully supported on its back on a flat, firm, and stable surface.
- Failure to follow these warnings could result in death or serious injury.
- Whether you use BellaMoon or not, we urge you to follow the safe sleeping tips provided by the Lullaby Trust because absolutely nothing is more important than the safety of a child.